Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Bob Fickes ~ Why am I Here?

We are born into this world and every day we wake up from our sleep and begin a new day in this world. As soon as we are awake, our mind starts to tell us what to do. Not just our mind tells us what to do, everything in this world is shouting at us do this, do that. We hear the words “do this” and we jump to do it. Our mind never relaxes or stops to tune in to what our heart wants to do. I never liked this reality about life! When I was young I wanted to rebel. Later I learned to accept the pressure and just do what I was told. But deep inside I always felt that there was more to life than just doing what I was told. I think that this irritation with my life was what motivated me to discover meditation.
I needed to get out of the box and discover the truth about life on my own. I had to break out of what everyone wanted me to do and search for some deeper meaning that would help me to understand why I was here. Like everyone else, I thought that if I could find the reason why I was born, what my real purpose was for being here, I would then feel better and be more motivated to accomplish something important in my life. So I started to ask questions. I talked to my friends. I talked to my favorite teachers in school and people that I admired in the world I lived in. I read many books that would help me to discover this very important question, “Why am I here?”

After years of searching, I realized that the answers were not what people told me. Whatever answers I found never satisfied me. I was still restless and despondent. One day someone gave me a copy of Autobiography of a Yogi by Yogananda. For the first time in my life, I realized that being a human being in this world could be miraculous. There was so much more to life than I ever expected. I began my spiritual quest into the vast unknown worlds of meditation. I spent all of my time investigating the inner world of Consciousness, that part of me that was not in this world but existed beyond time and space in some other dimension. For a long time, I thought that this is what I was looking for. But it had nothing to do with this life in the world. I wanted to leave this world and just find a cave somewhere in India and get away from all of the things that most people thought were important. It was exciting but it lacked inspiration to do anything with my life in the world.
Then I realized that deep inside of me was a vast world of energy and spiritual power that moved through my body and soul every day. I wanted to use this energy and spiritual power for something useful. I realized that all of my problems with the world were not really the problems of the world, but the fact that I never used my power to do something with my energy. So I put my whole heart into just being alive each day. My life changed and I became successful at everything I tried to do! The key was very simple: put my energy into my life and do my best to open my heart and have fun no matter how trivial the task was. In my own way I discovered the meaning of imacoco, “Be here now!”
Living in this world was not about what I was supposed to do. It was just about opening my heart and doing everything more meaningfully. I made every task, no matter how small, important. It changed my life! Now I know that life is what I make it. I must put my heart into everything I do and life will change from resistance and frustration into a life where everything was fun and interesting. Life was full of surprises! When this life is done, I can look back and know that I did well. Life in this world can be an exciting adventure. It was all up to me. I hope to inspire everyone I meet and challenge them to put more heart and more enthusiasm into their life. If I can accomplish this each day, my life will be worth living. We were born to enjoy! This is the only truth. We are alive to feel what it means to be alive at each moment and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment